How to Get the Most out of your Packing & Unpacking
Many people move each year. For most people, moving is an infrequent event, so when planning the move, many don’t realize there are ways to do things that help the process dramatically. If you have ever seen a moving company pack, load, and unpack a truck, it goes very quickly. How do they do it so fast? Do they know something we don’t? Are there things we can do while packing and unpacking that will simplify a move? In short- yes! Lucky for us, these tips and tricks are not a secret and Transport America is sharing some of our top tips for packing and unpacking to save you time, frustration, and money.
Tips & Tricks
When moving, there is no one correct way to pack and unpack your items. There are, however, things you can do that greatly save time and energy! Here are some of our favorites!
- Declutter- Starting about a month before moving day, clean and organize each room in your house. People don’t realize how much stuff gets accumulated in a home. Many things are not valuable to you and some things you don’t even realize you have. When you choose to organize and clear out each room ahead of time, it gives you a chance to throw out or donate things you no longer want. This saves you time in packing and money on boxes.
- Label, Label, Label- As you pack each box, be sure you are labeling what room the box has come from and 1-2 things inside the box. This will help as you are unpacking to have the boxes in the room where they belong and have a quick idea of what’s inside to know what should be unpacked first.
- Use paper to wrap most valuables- Bubble wrap is expensive and- for most things- unnecessary. Plates and dishes typically just need to be separated with a layer of moving paper.
- Pack every box as full as possible, without overfilling- Having full boxes means less shifting of the items inside. Be careful not to overfill boxes or make them too heavy. There is a fine balance with this tip.
- Unpack & Ready these 3 things first- Unpack bathroom necessities, set up bed and unpack bedding, and get out kitchen necessities first. Unpacking is a lot of work. Having a set-up bed with sheets ready at the end of the day is ideal and topping that off with an actual meal can be the difference between a comfortable night’s sleep and a very long night.
White Glove Service
If packing and unpacking still seems like something you are not interested in, no worries! Our team at Transport America Moving is here to help! Our white glove service packs, loads, transports, and helps unpack all of your belongings for you!. Let us do the work so you can focus on more important things!